Subject: PVR-compatible Motherboards
From: William Frawley <[email-masked]>
To: Multiple recipients of list <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 1996 03:44:07 -0500

On Mon, 15 Jan 1996 [email-masked] wrote:

[snip]
>      (Actually after more in-depth technical discussion, I became convinced 
>      that the motherboard was the problem. I then replaced the motherboard, 
>      going from a SOYO dual Pentium to an AZUS dual Pentium. Everything 
>      works perfectly now and I will never buy a SOYO product again but 
>      that's another story.)

Ron (et al),

I'm in the process of constructing my own Pentium-based system. I work 
part-time in a computer store and the systems we sell are based on the 
Asus motherboards. I would like to install a PVR and daughtercard in the 
Asus single chip Pentium board, but it appears, by visual inspection only, 
that it might not fit. The PVR alone might squeeze into the PCI/ISA 
shared slot, but I'm not sure about the video-capture daughtercard. I 
would prefer using the Asus boards, as they are of extremely high-quality 
and contain excellent features (ie, 2 built-in serial ports, 1 parallel, 
2 floppy, and Enhanced IDE controllers).

Thus, my question. Will the dual-chip Asus board handle both the PVR and 
the daughtercard without any problems? If so, does it block an additional 
PCI slot or one of the ISA slots? If not, can anyone elso out there 
recommend any other MB manufacturers that do have PCI slots unobscured by 
the fan, heat sink and cpu? Or would it be best just to use the DPS PCI
extender?  Unfortunately, our systems vendor isn't very up-to-speed in
these matters. :-(

Thanks in advance.

  _ _
  0 0   William Frawley
   |     [email-masked]
  \_/